The Robert A. Cunningham Scholarship was created in 1998 to honor the memory of Robert A. Cunningham, who was a GECU board member for 30 years. The Credit Union’s Board of Directors is comprised of volunteers elected by its members. The Board’s vital role is to establish the Credit Union’s policies and procedures. In addition to volunteering for GECU’s Board of Directors, Mr. Cunningham’s spirit of volunteerism was also prominent in the community.
This college scholarship honors five graduating high-school seniors who share the same spirit of volunteerism and scholastic achievement as Mr. Cunningham.
The application runs from January 2, 2023 – March 31, 2023. Students may submit their application using our new online application form. Five scholarships will be awarded and each scholarship recipient will receive a one-time award of $2,000.
The applicant must:
- Be a college-bound, graduating high-school senior.
- Have a strong academic record with at least a “B” average.
- Be a member of GECU; have an account in their name. Students may join if they qualify for membership. Eligibility is simple if they live in the Tri-State, they can bank with us! NOTE: Students have until the application deadline of March 31, 2023 to open an account to be eligible. Find out more details by visiting: gecreditunion.org/membership.
- Have participated in activities demonstrating the spirit of volunteerism.
Applications should include:
- A written or video essay (see our Scholarship Application form for details).
- Two letters of recommendation (one from an organization for which the applicant volunteers).
- An official copy of his or her high-school transcript.
- Proof of volunteer hours.